The Science of Cleaning and the Impact of COVID-19
COVID-19 has changed the way we will do business. For BSCs, one of the shifts in thinking will be cleaning for look vs. cleaning for health.
In the latest episode of BSCAI’s podcast Contracting Conversations, we sit down with Dr. Eugene Cole, an expert in the ecology and cleanliness of indoor and work environments, to talk about the science of cleaning. He explains to us how understanding how viruses work and thrive will help BSCs refine their cleaning schedules, and how people overall are now acutely aware of the hygiene of their environment.
In this episode, you will hear:
- A breakdown of what makes a coronavirus, and how COVID-19 fares among them.
- The difference between a pandemic and an outbreak.
- The difference between cleaning and disinfecting.
- How COVID-19 will change the way we view more common illnesses.
- Specifically, how will our COVID-19 response affect the way we view the flu.
- The impact COVID-19 will have on practices and building service contractors in general.
- Understanding types/frequency of cleaning and how they might change.
- The importance of education and training with workers.
- Reevaluating procurement of PPE and types of disinfectant.
- Some findings for Dr. Cole’s research in a public school system, and reexamining the cleaning schedule to reduce absenteeism.
- Cleaning for specific environments: Health care facilities versus other types of buildings.
Listen to our latest episode below. Be sure to subscribe to Contracting Conversations on Apple Podcasts, Spotify and Soundcloud.