BSCAI's Registered Building Service Manager (RBSM) designation is the most prestigious symbol of excellence for building service contracting management. By earning the RBSM designation, you'll become part of an elite group of building service professionals, worldwide - and the accolades you will receive towards your business goals will be tremendous. Click here to see the RBSM brochure
Four simple steps towards receiving your RBSM designation:
Complete the online application with the $275 certification fee for the RBSM examination. Online applications now include access to Volumes 1-7 and the Guide to Green Cleaning in e-book format. You have 365 days from the date you apply to access the e-book study materials and the online examination. If you do not complete the exam within the time limit, it will count as an automatic fail.
If you would also like hard copies of the study materials, you may order your materials online in the BSCAI Marketplace.
Log on when you are ready to take the examination. New features for online certification include:
- Examinees will have 14 days to complete all 4 sections of the RBSM exam.
- Once you begin one of the four sections of your exam, the 14 day timer begins.
- Individual sections are still timed the same as paper testing.
- Examinees do not need to take the sections in order and can choose to take one section after the other or space them out within the 14 days.
- Examinees do not need to have a proctor present.
- Results are generated automatically after each section is completed and an e-mail confirmation is sent with total results when the exam is completed.
- The exams are completely True/False and Multiple Choice.
Online testing results will be received instantly. Candidates must achieve a minimum passing score of 70% on each of the four sections on the exam. A candidate can retake any section that he/she does not pass again within one year. You can apply to retake the exam by logging into your profile and adding the reexamination to your cart. Re-examination is a $100 fee to BSCAI headquarters.
FAQ's for the RBSM Exam:
- 2/3 of examinees pass all sections during the first examination
- Practice exams are only available in first edition study materials and are intended only to ensure you covered the material in the book but not intended to replicate the look and feel of the actual exam questions.
- There are four sections with the following topics:
- Part 1: Hard Floors, Metal Surfaces, Carpets, Fabric Cleaning
- Part 2: Chemicals & Chemistry, Restroom Cleaning, General Technology, Safety, Green Cleaning
- Part 3: Security, Insurance & Legal, Unions, Quality Control, Communications, Customer Relations, Basic Math
- Part 4: Personnel Management, General Management
Steps to Renew Your RBSM:
- Click here to retrieve a copy of the RBSM Renewal Form and Application.
- Fill out the RBSM Renewal Form and Application
- Pay the $75 recertification fee
- Pay by Check: Attach a check to the re-certification form and mail packet back to headquarters.
- Pay by Credit Card: Log into your user portal. On the right hand side under "My Account" click "Make a Payment," if you are up for renewal this year, the balance due has already been added to your account. If you need log in information or do not see the balance due, contact headquarters
4. Attach credit card confirmation receipt to a copy of the RBSM Renewal Form and Application and mail packet back to headquarters
BSCAI Certification Department
330 North Wabash
Chicago, IL 60611
All RBSM designees, upon reaching the age of sixty-two and who have renewed their designation at least three times, are designated for life. For example, someone who became certified in 2009 and recertified in the years 2011, 2013 and 2015, would be eligible for lifetime certification in 2017. No further reporting or payment is required other than notifying the BSCAI certification department in writing of meeting the age and recertification requirements.